Observations from a reporter holding a voice recorder, camera, clutch, pashmina, and umbrella:
- Tyra Banks is shorter than I imagined and is absolutely gorgeous (duh).
- Run DMC is full of life and talks a mile a minute. He was completely engaging. I could have interviewed him forever. He also shared a heartfelt story with me and another reporter about how when he was 35 years-old, he found out he was adopted.
- Comedian Mike Birbiglia shared a story with me about being on a plane and sitting next to someone with a severe peanut allergy (he was eating some sort of Thai noodle dish with peanuts in it). The flight attendant asked him to stop eating. He was so ravenous that he took it into the bathroom with him and scarfed it down. After coming to the conclusion that fecal matter most likely snuck into his meal, he realized he’d just hit a new low while on tour.
- Young women still want to be just like Tiffani Amber-Thiessen.
- Martin Scorsese loves NYC and hearing him speak in short staccato sentences made me want to loop his wisdom into a rap song.
- The stories that The Moth has cultivated over 15 years is pretty remarkable. My personal favorite was from a moth storyteller who talked about the time he was hitchhiking across the country and got picked up by a strange man. When he realized how off the rocker he was, he told the driver, “Hey man, you’ve picked up a crazier person than yourself” and got out of the car. It turned out the driver was a convicted murderer who had killed over 30 people.
New York City certainly brings together an ecclectic group of people and I am just happy I was there to capture it all. Here are some images from the eventful night: